The self-designed major gives you the flexibility of designing your own major to align with your unique interests and career goals. It is the oldest and most-established self-designed major program in the Universities of Wisconsin and one of the largest majors by enrollment at UW-Superior.
Working closely with an advisor, you can choose classes from a variety of subjects to create a custom course of study. The self-designed major is an optimal choice if you are seeking a degree or career preparation not offered at UWS or perhaps not anywhere. It can also be a great choice if you are a transfer student or have some college experience and are looking for the most efficient way to complete your degree. Choose from the following options:
- Interdisciplinary – Comprehensive (no minor required). Minimum 51 credits, 22 of which must be upper division and must be interdisciplinary with at least three, but no more than four separate discipline areas.
- Individually-Designed – Non-comprehensive (minor required). Minimum 33 credits, 18 of which must be upper division. May be either interdisciplinary or only one discipline.
Through a self-designed major, you will:
- Incorporate different areas of study into one major
- Acquire skills and knowledge specific to your interests and future goals
- Increase earning and employment potential or prepare for graduate study
The following is a list of previously designed majors that are in high demand. You may choose from this list or create your own major, with input and approval from academic advising.
- Environmental studies; climate change
- Human or social services
- Health care administration
- Sports management
- Public relations
- Sports communication
- Business communication
- Political communication
- Organizational management
- Health communication
- Cultural communication
- Information management
- Education studies