Earn the IT degree you need to stay competitive in a changing workplace.
You have been working in IT but haven’t finished your degree. Or you’ve thought earning your bachelor’s degree will help you stay competitive at work, but have struggled to find a respected online IT degree program that fits your life rather than forcing you to change your life to earn your degree.
The UW-Milwaukee Bachelor of Science in Information Science and Technology (IST) is your chance to use your associate degree to earn a bachelor’s degree. Offered through the UW Flexible Option, this degree is is designed to help you achieve your goals, on your schedule, and on your budget, while building on your existing IT knowledge and skills.
Building on your associate degree, the Bachelor of Science in Information Science and Technology (IST) combines core IT skills like front-end web design, programing, and project management, with electives that you choose. Offered by the UW-Milwaukee School of Information Studies (SOIS), the unique curriculum of this accredited degree will make sure you are learning the skills employers are looking for. As a result, earning this bachelor’s degree positions you for career growth and set you apart from the competition.
Gain IT skills that you can apply right away in your career.
You will study things like front-end web design, database management, information architecture, human-computer interaction, information organization, storage and retrieval, and applications of the Internet. The IST program prepares graduates to be IT leaders in our increasingly digital culture and economy. Our students work with our Career Services Advisor to help identify opportunities to apply this degree to your career.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of IST program will be able to:
- Analyze complex information and technology needs, and to apply principles of information science and other relevant disciplines to identify and implement solutions.
- Design, implement, evaluate, and administer information systems to meet a given set of requirements – including user and organizational needs — in diverse environments.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of professional contexts.
- Function effectively as a member or leader of a team engaged in the design, implementation, and evaluation information technology solutions.
- Recognize organizational and social responsibilities as information professionals and make informed judgments based on legal and ethical principles
The UW Flexible Option allows you to:
- Build on the expertise you have developed on the job and in your previous experience or academic work.
- Fit school into your life. Start any month. Without semester schedules, group work, class discussions, or scheduled log-on requirements, you can earn your degree when it works for you.
- Control your pace. Complete assignments when you’re able and then move on to the next. Take time off when you need it.
- Earn an affordable degree. The Flex Tuition Guarantee locks in your tuition rate while you are actively enrolled in the program.
The UW-Milwaukee Information Science and Technology bachelor’s degree positions you for a variety of roles, including:
- Systems analyst
- Systems administrator
- Business analyst
- Network architect
- Web developer
- Technical writer
- Information security analyst
- Database administrator
- Software developer
- IT network administrator
Candidates for the IST degree must have:
- At least 60 degree-applicable credits
- At least one year of professional IT experience
- A cumulative GPA of 2.00 from all prior accredited colleges and universities
Applicants who do not meet these academic requirements may be considered for admissions to the Associate of Arts & Sciences (AAS) degree program. Applicants admitted to the AAS degree may consider a program change once bachelor’s admission requirements have been satisfied (60 credits) or after the AAS degree is earned.