Health Information Management and Health IT in One Online Degree
The Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management and Technology (HIMT) is one of the only 100% online programs that includes courses in health information management (HIM) and health information technology (HIT). New regulations and technologies are changing the roles and educational requirements of health information professionals to include not only the governance of health information but the use and application of technology. As a student in the UW HIMT program, you’ll learn the skills needed to succeed in today’s technology-focused healthcare environments.
Gain skills in:
- Human resources management
- Financial and resource management
- Strategic planning and organizational development
- Programming and data structures
- Data, information, and storage structures
- Data security
- Information and communication technologies
Ultimately, you’ll learn how to expertly manage electronic health data and build the software and systems needed to manage, retrieve, and analyze that data to improve the future of healthcare delivery and patient care.
Universities of Wisconsin partners in the Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management and Technology include: UW-Green Bay, UW-Parkside, and UW-Stevens Point.
The 100% online Health Information Management and Technology program is a bachelor’s completion program, which means you can combine existing, transferable general education credits with the required HIMT courses, to complete your bachelor’s degree.
The HIMT curriculum offers two tracks: Health Information Technology and Health Information Management. All HIMT students take 15 core courses, 4 track courses, a 1 credit capstone prep course and final capstone project course to finish the program, completing 21 courses for a total of 61 credits. There are no electives. Graduates will earn a concentration in Health Information Technology OR Health Information Management.
- 15 core courses (3 credits each)
- 4 track courses (3 credits each)
- 1 Capstone prep course (1 credit)
- 1 Capstone project course (3 credits)
Graduates of the University of Wisconsin Health Information Management and Technology program have gone on to roles such as:
- Health Information Manager
- Supervisory Health System Specialist
- Director of Analytics
- Coding Specialist
- Data Management and Analytic Specialist
- Medical Staff Services Specialist
- Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist
To be eligible for the UW Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management and Technology students must meet the following requirements:
- Approximately 45-60 transferable general education credits with a 2.0 minimum grade point average (GPA). There are options available for those who do not meet this general education requirement, such as potentially taking them through your chosen home campus or through one of these associate degrees. Please contact an enrollment adviser for more information.
- Prerequisite coursework in college algebra, communications, and biology; anatomy and physiology suggested but not required.
- Official college transcripts.